Saturday, August 17, 2013

Kokohead Trail

If you are in the Hawaii Kai area near Hanauma Bay, that big mountain you see nearby isn't Diamond Head, it's Kokohead.  This ancient volcano has a botanical garden inside the crater, and a heckuva hike on the outside of the crater.  The trail starts near the park at the base of Kokohead on the side closest to Hanauma Bay.  This trail is the hardest hike I have done on the island to date.  It's not particularly long or treacherous, the problem is that it's straight up the mountain.  I was sore in ways that I had never been sore before after doing this hike.  I am glad I can say we did it, but I don't see myself doing it ever again.  The views from the top are okay, but I'd suggest Mariner's Ridge or the Makapuu Lighthouse hike for better views and less strenuous hikes.  If you are on vacation in Hawaii, I would suggest not doing this hike unless you are in really really good shape because otherwise you will spend most of your vacation in pain.

This is the part of the trail where there's no ground underneath you

An accurate assessment

Here we go!

Yep, pretty much straight up

Resting at the top! The guy to the left of me said he was on a tv show called Last Resort

Views from the top

We did it!


Scary tunnel at the top

On our way back down. It's much easier than up, but your legs will be like jello by the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment