Monday, September 22, 2014

9 Weeks

It's starting!
We got to go to our first prenatal appointment on the 16th.  They gave me a bag full of pages of helpful information, a water bottle, and prenatal vitamin samples.  I thought that was fun.  The doctor answered my questions and then did an ultrasound. Blake somehow knew to start taking a video right before this happened so what you've got right here is an actual transcript.

My doctor looked around for a minute and then said, "So like, what if you had two?"

I said a hesitant "I don't know."

"Cause you do."

"Really??!?! Are you kidding me?"

Blake joined in with an "Oh my gosh."

"Yeah, they're twins.  They're fraternal, they're not identical or anything."

"Okay," I said as I laughed nervously.

He showed me the two little blobs and we listened to each of their heartbeats.  He said they are both doing really great and everything looks fine.

And just like that, everything was flipped on it's head.  I felt terrified at the thought of twice as many diapers, twice as many feedings, twice as many times trying to get a baby to sleep.  Would I be able to sleep at all or would they be awake at different times?  So much for my plans of not getting too huge or needing as many maternity clothes because I'm tall.  My body will definitely never look good again.  How can we afford to buy twice as many baby things?  Two car seats, two cribs, two high chairs, twice as many diapers, twice as many clothes, twice the health insurance and doctor visits, the list goes on and on.  I might not be able to leave the house at all for months, not even for grocery shopping.   How the heck do you get two babies to breastfeed at the same time?  How do you carry two car seats and a diaper bag at once without your arms falling off?  There are so many logistics to figure out that had never even occurred to me. 

Being pregnant with twins automatically makes my pregnancy a high-risk one.  That means I'll have to be more careful about potential problems such as gestational diabetes, preeclampsia, preterm labor, and more.  More than 50% of twins are born premature.  My doctor told me that they don't let twin pregnancies go past 38 weeks.  He gave me the official due date of April 27th, but since twins are considered full term at 37 weeks instead of 40 the more accurate due date is April 6th.

Blake had been teasing me all along that it might be twins.  He would say things like "You're so pregnant, if you were any more pregnant it would be twins!"  Blake couldn't be more happy about getting two babies for the price of one pregnancy.

So how am I feeling about all this?  I go through times of being overwhelmed and scared, wondering if I will ever feel like a normal human being ever again, or if the pregnancy and newborn stage will literally kill me.  Sometimes I think I am in denial.  But most of the time I feel happy.  I had no idea I could be so happy about this.  Seeing them on the ultrasound and knowing that they are okay made me feel so good and calmed so many of my fears.  I looked at pictures of newborn twins on pinterest and they are adorable.  I'm going to have a set of my own in 6-7 months.  I'm pulling for a boy and a girl, how fun would that be?

As far as pregnancy symptoms, some days I feel pretty good but just kind of off.  For example, some days I eat a full meal yet within an hour or even less sometimes I feel like I am starving to death.  It is the strangest thing.  I have less energy and feel more tired than normal, but can't sleep quite as well as usual.  I have some days where the nausea hits me pretty bad and eating anything makes me feel really sick, but so does not eating, so I do my best to eat.  My doctor said that morning sickness is usually worse with twins, so that explains why I have it much worse than I was expecting due to my mom never having morning sickness at all.  I feel like my stomach might be looking the tiniest bit bigger, but I'm not sure.  It might also just be me starting to gain back the five pounds I lost right before I got pregnant due to medication.  I'm so curious about what it will be like to be further along in pregnancy and have a baby bump.

Since I will probably be showing soon and am not feeling great, we decided to tell Blake's mom and stepdad, Blake's sister and brother-in-law, and my cousin Haley.  I don't particularly like trying to be secretive about things so I'm glad we got to tell some people.  We think we are going to wait to announce it to the general public until sometime between our anniversary next month and Halloween.  My parents were so excited to hear the news about twins.  My sister said, "Great, now I'll have to babysit two of them," and my brother said, "Haha you are going to look so crazy huge."  Sibling love.  I realized that there will be the same number of years between me and my sister as between her and my babies.  Crazy right?

We bought our first baby things this week.  We got a Pack N Play from a thrift store for $12 in great condition, and one of those toys with the plastic rings of different colors that stack on a base with a stick for 99c.  You'd know what I meant if you saw it...  I also bought my first maternity shirt there for $2.99.  Things are getting real, people!

One more awesome piece of news, we found a great townhome and start moving in today!  It has been an extremely long 8 months in Ogden and I am so happy to be moving on to better things.   We will actually have a room for our babies that I can start thinking about decorating and filling with baby things.  Of course I can't buy much of anything right now because we don't know the genders, and I should probably wait until after the baby shower anyways.  For now I can keep myself busy with unpacking and decorating our bedroom in the new theme that I had been waiting to change to until we moved.  I'm so excited!

There's two!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment