Tuesday, December 23, 2014

One Year Ago: The Big Move

One year ago today, we said goodbye to life in Hawaii! 

We woke up early to pack our last few belongings in our suitcases, sweep the floors one last time, and give the place a once-over to make sure everything looked perfect.  I had spent the last two weeks painstakingly packing, deep cleaning, repairing holes in walls, and a million other things to make sure that the apartment looked better than how we found it.  Blake helped where he could (mostly moving furniture out and some repairs), but was extremely busy with work, so most of it was left to me.  I was proud of my work.  Before we knew it, it was time for the rental company to come do their walkthrough.

I was nervous as I waited outside for Blake to finish.  I spent my time playing with our mongoose, Squeaker, for the last time.  Our next-door (actually, more like behind and next door?) neighbors had taken quite a liking to him, so they agreed to take him on after we left.  He lived outside and didn't really need to be fed, so we really didn't change anything for him when we left.  I like to think he misses us a little bit though...



When Blake was done with the walk through, he told me that the lady was not too happy about what she saw.  I was floored.  It looked so much better than when we had moved in.  In fact, we even fixed things that were broken and holes that were in the walls when we moved in.  I was upset and angry, and let tears fall down my cheeks as I thought of all of the work I had put into making that place look amazing.  If I was having any reservations about leaving Hawaii (not likely), they were definitely gone now.

"I hate Hawaii," I told Blake.

"Yeah, look at those jerks, making you cry on your last day here."

The only thing to do when you are feeling a huge lack of faith in the humanity of Hawaii is to go to Uncle Clay's House of Pure Aloha for some shave ice.  It is really the only place I felt like we really got a glimpse of what aloha is all about.  Uncle Clay likes to get to know everyone who comes to his store and he just radiates the aloha spirit.  Everyone who works there is always super friendly and nice.  Not to mention their shave ice is made with natural flavors and is thus divine.  It was a good way to end our Hawaiian life and begin a new adventure.

We made our way to the airport and saw a rainbow in the sky, as if Hawaii was telling us goodbye.


"Goodbye, and good riddance!" we said in return.

Then onto the airplane and leaving it all behind forever. What an incredible time we had in Hawaii.  It was one of the most difficult experiences I have ever had, but we learned a lot and got to experience so many things we never would have if we had stayed in Utah.  Our life in Hawaii is such a distant memory now, but it will always have a little place in my heart, even though I would never move back there again.  We might bring our kids there someday, we'll just have to wait and see.

If you want to see the part of the story where we arrive in Utah, read it here: http://blakeamanda.blogspot.com/2014/01/a-christmas-eve-surprise.html

No comments:

Post a Comment