Monday, July 28, 2014

Embrace Your Inner Mermaid-How to Make a DIY Seashell Headband

 Being both a redhead and a fish-lover, it just makes sense that I love the combination of the two: mermaids.  I had dreams to do a mermaid-inspired photoshoot, and I was lucky enough to find someone who would do whatever crazy thing I asked her to do.  Thanks Malae!  To make this vision come to life, I thought a seashell headband would be awesome.  So, here's how I (and by I, I mean Blake with a bit of direction from me) made it.

Step 1: Gather materials.  You will need some shells, a headband, a glue gun, and (optional) some thread.  The shells and coral were gathered from beaches in Hawaii.  The starfish were purchased (one in Hawaii, one here.)  I already had a bunch of sand dollars.

Step 2: Put a big glob of hot glue on the back of the shells.  If you don't care about the headband or the shells and want to keep this forever, go ahead and stick the shell right on there.  I wanted to use the shells later for another project, so instead Blake placed some thread inside the glue blob so that the shells could be tied to the headband.  Then tie the seashells onto the headband with the thread.  Trim the ends so they don't poke out.
 
Step 3: Model your new awesome mermaid headband.
Blake is so going to kill me


Am I crazy for asking people to put starfish on their head?  Maybe.  But I don't care because I love the end result.

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea and these pictures! Super pretty! Also, love the new blog design. You are amazing at everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet Nicole! I was getting bored of the old design and wanted to try something new.

      Delete