Thursday, July 10, 2014

TBT: The First Time Blake and I Met, or, How Chris Ripplinger Changed Our Destiny

It was almost dark outside when I finally left work to head to my night class at Weber State's Davis Campus, which was only about a mile away.  Due to the February snow it took me much longer than it should have to get to there.  I walked in and looked around to find the perfect seat where I wouldn't have to sit too close to anyone.  I liked to have space for my computer and notebook.  A few minutes after I selected my seat, I saw a familiar face.  It was a guy from my single's ward named Chris, who I knew from the ward choir where he sang and I played the piano.  I'd seen him a few times in this class and said hi, but this time he asked me to come and sit with him and his friend. 

I had spent the better part of a year healing my heart from a past relationship and breakup, and while I felt hopeful, I was not expecting anything in my life to change at that time.  I wish I could say that the first time I saw Blake it was love at first sight and I knew we would be together forever, but I didn't.  He was just an attractive guy that happened to know this other guy that I knew.  So I sat by Blake, and talked a little bit.  When class started I did my best to pay attention, but my professor's almost imperceptible African accent always sent my mind adrift.  I laugh to recall how long it took me to realize that 'mah-kett' meant market.  I decided to look at pictures of my pets, because that always made me smile. 

"Hey, you like fish?  That's pretty cool.  I used to have a fish tank," Blake said.  I told him that I did, and probably rambled off the names that I had carefully picked out for my fish.  Emerson, Pistachio, Winter, Volta (and more, at this time I think I had about 8 fish tanks.  Crazy Cat Fish Lady anyone?)  Strangely, my somewhat odd choice of obsession didn't scare him off.  In fact, he later told me that he thought I was out of his league, which I find to be ridiculous.  After class, Blake asked me if I'd like to go swing dancing with him and his friends in two days on that Wednesday, which I wasn't sure if that meant a date or just going as a group.  I already had plans so I had to decline. 

He would ask me to go a few more times.  Stay tuned for my next Throwback Thursday post to see if I ever said yes.  *wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment