Friday, July 25, 2014

How I Find the Best Deals on Clothes

I inherited my love of finding a good deal from my mother, who is a master at bargain hunting.  Today, I want to share a few tips on how and where I find clothes for super cheap.

First, here are the stores I usually shop: Downeast, Forever21, Old Navy, Target, H&M, and also ebay.  I have a different strategy for most of these retailers. 

At Downeast, it's all about the sales, clearance, and outlets (if you can find them.)  Outlets/tent sales don't seem to be as common as they used to be, but if you can find them you will be in for a treat.  They often have shirts as low as $2.50, skirts for $5-7, dresses for $10-12, and swim pieces for $5-7.  It is amazing and I highly recommend going if you ever hear of one.  Otherwise, check out their clearance and wait for sales.  I personally would only buy something full price there if you HAVE to have it, which sometimes happens because some of their stuff is FREAKING ADORABLE. 

Forever21 is one store where I don't do much sale-waiting or clearance rack-ing because they don't really discount much.  Their clothes are already cheap so I am usually willing to pay full price.  The trick here is to be careful and make sure what you're buying is actually a good deal.  Some of their items are priced better than others.  You do have to remember that the quality isn't the best, but since their stuff is usually trendy, I'm not too concerned about it lasting a decades.

Old Navy is a big one.  NEVER EVER EVER pay full price for anything at Old Navy.  They always have sales and things often go on clearance.  30% off the whole store is a common occurrence.  Their clearance section is always large and usually has each item in several sizes.  I once walked out of Old Navy with a shirt and a swimsuit bottom for 48 cents by combining clearance, a sale on clearance items, and a coupon.  Sign up for their emails to get coupons and sale notifications.  Another big tip for other tall girls out there, Old Navy carry tall sizes online, and when your order is $50 or more you get free shipping and in-store returns!
proof
I love shopping Target's clearance section.  They have really cute clothes sometimes, but their prices are a bit too high for me at times.  Their clearance section has things more reasonably priced and often has good selection.  Also watch for their sales.  I like their tees and tanks, and those go on sale for $5-8 from time to time.

H&M has some things that are a great price without any discounts.  They also have some things that aren't so cheap.  For those, it's nice to wait for sales/coupons.  This is another place you should be on the mailing list for as they send out coupons from time to time.  I don't have the best luck with their clearance, mostly because I get overwhelmed, but I'm sure you could find something great if you had the patience.

Ebay is the one you have to be more careful with.  It is easy to let yourself pay too much because you get attached to an item, or forget to factor in shipping costs.  I usually search for brands I like, or if I have something particular in mind I will zero in on that.  I am actually able to find most things I am looking for if I look long enough.  Just remember to be strong and let stuff go if it gets bid up too high!

So that about wraps it up.  There are two things I would like to mention right now.  While I highly value finding amazing deals, it is important to never let yourself buy something you wouldn't be tempted to buy if it wasn't on sale.  Be honest with yourself on whether you will actually wear it multiple times before you buy.  Even if it was cheap, buying something you won't use is still a waste of money and space.  The second thing is that it is okay to have a splurge purchase every once in a while, just don't make it a habit.  For example, right before we moved from Hawaii I had my husband buy me a $30 Heather Brown tank top from Rip Curl that I just adore.  It is more than I would ever spend on something like that, but it is a souvenir from our time in Hawaii that I cherish.  Sometimes it's worth it.  I hope these tips will help you find clothing steals!

No comments:

Post a Comment